Friday, December 10, 2010

Learning to tell a Story

 This is, hopefully, my humble beginning.

Generally, to be good at something requires a mentor and practice.

My mentor was Brian Miller, and I suppose that made me his side-kick.I learned a lot about photography and functional alcoholism from him, about aperture, angle, lighting, software tweaking and getting to where the action is despite a crippling hangover that has dulled the skin of my veiny eyes and left my tongue as soft and plush as a calloused thumb. The learning process continues.

And continues. Brian has published a photo-book of such mind-blowingly delicious imagery that my eyes salivate tears of hunger just thinking about it. "Mmmmm" my eyes would say if they had a mouth to speak and eat the pictures with. To get as good as he, practice I must.

But people are unpredictable regarding their images, at times jealously protecting themselves from the lens, and at other times posing with wide smiles.....

Like a green thief in broad day light,I prowl.  CLICK!



Oh god she turned around and I'm pretty friggin sure she saw me so I run and run and with those boots she's got on she'll never catch me even though I'm already sweating cheap Korean rice wine.

Close call.

For the time being, I take pictures of things that are less unpredictable. The behavior of an insect, for example, is nearly entirely unaffected by image-theft, so far as I can tell.





Even less responsive than insects are fish, particularly if they are dead. 

And plants, though photosynthetic, appear completely undisturbed when I steal light within their vicinity.

There is indeed much to learn about this craft.

No comments: