Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cultural drift

Your tag's showing:

When I was out of the country without a job, I was a 'traveler'. Return home and suddenly I'm just 'unemployed'. Since I'm waiting for a call from No Frills to give me my first shift, I'm living a bum's lifestyle. With the label 'unemployed' comes imperatives to sloth around I guess. I'm not convinced that 'No Frills employee' is a much better label, but at least it'll get me out of the house.  
 
Sex Rant 
Where did sex go?  Think back to the Cheers years, an era built on innuendo and Sam Malone's pick-up artistry. Flip on the TV and now it's mostly zombies, crime, geeks and pet shows attracting viewers. The stats back this opinion up.  And movies..."Just the very word "zombie" can persuade people to buy tickets for a movie, and "sex" hasn't done that in years", says Roger Ebert.
Turn your ears to the music. I cringe at the bands now beating drums under the banner of 'rock'. Their lyrics describe being victim to their own hurt feelings and emotional co-dependency. I'm all for being self-aware, but when weaknesses are spotted, you fix them rather than make a song about them. Are these bland tunes and whiny-bitch voices catering to a nation of soft-as-goo metrosexuals? What happened to the holy trinity of sex, drugs and rock n' roll? 

I ask not because I love other people having sex in all my TV and movies; but
this Oprah-brand 'evolved man' who's crowning achievement in life is being reasonable, polite, and willing to compromise at the drop of a hat inspires nothing in me but quiet contempt.

I've got this over-sensitivity in me too. I'm not condemning, I just really wanted to....share my feelings with you.    

No comments: